Monday, February 14, 2011

A Poem

This will be my first time posting under my own name on this blog, and despite our relative obscurity it is still intimidating to be posting my writing to the public. With this in mind, I suppose the best way to go would be to get the most embarrassing notion out of the way first. I am going to post a short poem i wrote several years ago; one that was inspired by this beautiful place and the times i spent here simply growing up and not working. Over time, and as my maturity level has grown, this place has become as much my job as my home, but I wanted to start off my writing on this site with a more pure, idealized, unclouded memory. I'm a poor excuse for a poet, but I hope everyone will hang with me, and that as I write more you will perhaps find a few words of mine to your liking.

A Walk to the Back Field's Bench


Fifty-five steps
In the misty morning,
Over the damp grass,
Barefooted through puddles
Whose mud seeps between my toes.

Across the piled rocks
Slippery from the dew,
Which is our bridge over
The small, slow moving stream.

The trees drip with water
As rain begins falling faster.
In huge drops it falls
The first few making
Their tapping sounds before
It becomes a constant hum

The last ten steps are on a path
Mowed in the fire-weed.
The cut stems stab my feet.
When I reach the bench I sit;
In the downpour, I check
To see if I am bleeding.

1 comment:

  1. Adam!! This is really great. I'm only now reading this..11-15-2012, but really beautiful!! Keep on writing on...

    ReplyDelete