Thursday, January 28, 2010

Night feeding


It is amazingly beautiful out there tonight.
I love to feed in the dark. I have three horses who live outside in a run in shed. They have the freedom to come in and out at will. They are furry and delighted to see me at feeding time in the winter. I whistle and they greet me in the darkness with soft grunts and fluttering nostrils...occasionally neighing to make me hurry. A childhood dream, I'm still amazed that they live here with me.
Sometimes when the days are really short I have to 'feel around' in the dark to find their food tubs. I can hear them and feel their closeness but I can't see them at all. Sometimes I catch a glimpse of my Paint's white markings but sometimes it's too dark even for that. Not the smartest thing I suppose but I know them so well and they know the routine so well that I don't worry.
I just stand there and listen to them eating and smell the smells of horses and grain and fresh hay.
Tonight the moon is huge and it's warm for January. A little snow has made the pastures much less icy for their feet and mine. It's like daylight out there with long shadows. I can hear the ocean and hear them eating and I feel like I can stay with them for a while.
I do.
Then I take a lovely walk around the pond and look back at the house all lit up and warm.
A gift in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment